Sunday, November 17, 2013

Festival Week

Two weeks ago was festival week here at Handong, so we got a few days off school! After Tuesday the 5th I had no more classes until the following Monday.  The school festival involves several events and activities held school-wide as well as booths selling various food and a few performances from campus clubs. But for the most part the students go home and get some rest. I stayed here on campus enjoying the relaxation as well as the beautiful Autumn weather.

Thursday of break I ended up going on a beautiful, though cold, bike ride with friends as the sun set. We ran into a dead snake in the middle of the path and were followed for a while by some friendly farm dogs. 

We finished off the day with a warm supper and a movie night. A simple day, but I really enjoyed it.

Friday of break was the day of the sports competition! Four different dormitories on campus got together that morning to compete. Our dorm, known as International House or Carmichael College, really stuck out amongst all the Korean dorm teams.

Anyone who knows me well will know how much I dislike playing sports as a general rule. Few things make me feel as uncomfortable or out of my depth as playing sports. But I decided to expand my horizons and try something new, going against all my insecurities and being adventurous.

The event started out with capture the flag. We lost, but we gave it our best! Then came the girls’ dodge ball game. I had not played that game since middle school, but those Koreans were well practiced and very intense. After two rounds of the game Carmichael College lost and conceded victory to the other team. I can’t say I will be playing dodge ball again anytime soon, but it was good to be made a little uncomfortable. That in itself was a personal victory for me.
Dodge ball players
After that we watched the men play soccer, which our team also lost. But it was a good time of cheering for our friends, eating lunch, chatting, and basking in the sunlight. The last event was a relay race which involved both running and doing simple missions. Our team had some good runners, even though we didn't place first.
Relay Runners with our dorm flag
The day wrapped up at around three in the afternoon, leaving my dorm second to last place for the entire competition. It was a really fun day of fellowship and friendly competition. Carmichael College was certainly the loudest and most spirited team which should count for something, right?
One thing the day reminded me of was just how much I love my fellow International House residents. We’re from all around the world, from a huge diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, cultures—but we’re still like a family. A very heterogeneous family, but a welcoming one. I was proud to cheer on my friends all day!

After sports day wrapped up I went on another bike ride with friends which ended in my borrowed bike breaking, and having to walk it back. Slightly embarrassing, but as usual an enjoyable adventure even though it made me very cold. We finished the day with another movie and a good night of sleep.

The rest of festival week was spent relaxing, catching up on homework, eating, spending time with friends, and practicing for an upcoming event called Culture Night. This is an event that the international community here puts on, and it involves each culture community making food for everyone to sample and then putting on a performance that represents their nation. It should be a big event, and I will be busy with preparation for it most of this week. I will be reporting more on Culture Night after Saturday when it is over. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s hard work pay off!

Anyway. Festival week was a good break from school and a great time with friends. My time here is going by all too swiftly, and I am learning to make the most of every moment. Not easy, but a worthwhile endeavor.

As a bonus, enjoy some pictures of what our lovely campus looks like bedecked in autumnal glory. Beautiful colours here!



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment