Tuesday, December 10, 2013

End of the Semester Celebration

December 6th was the evening of the I-House end of semester party. This happens every semester, apparently. I-House rents out a fancy wedding hall and everyone dresses nicely and spends an evening off campus together eating good food, enjoying performances from each other, and having general fellowship.

I was a little distraught that it was on a Friday—the same busy Friday that I had to give two presentations, but somehow I managed to pull off my classes smoothly and still have time to get ready with the help of my lovely roommates.

I was late to get on the bus so I was one of the people who got to stand for the trip, which was fine except for being in unstable shoes with heels. The wedding hall was really fancy; at least in my small town girl estimation. I felt out of place stepping onto the polished floors, but the smiles and greetings of my friends put me at my ease.

After everyone found their seats we had a time of worship, prayer, and introductory comments. We watched a video that one of the guys put together all about the happenings in the I-House community this semester. There was a lot of laughter and good conversation. About what you would expect from a tightly knit community in the mood to celebrate.


We moved onto the feasting portion of the evening with some really good food from the buffet. Definitely beat cafeteria food!

Once people were just about done eating a series of performances began where some of the students did something for the rest of us to enjoy. There was singing, dancing, and even a little magic show. As usual, it was a good time and I really enjoyed it. I may be biased, but I think that there are a lot of very talented people here at Handong.

Towards the end of the event they called everyone up to the front who was about to graduate or leave. This meant that my fellow exchange students and I gathered with the others. We were prayed over and then many hugs were exchanged as pictures were taken.




I admit, my eyes grew misty as we prayed together and I hugged all of my wonderful brothers and sisters who I have grown so fond of this semester. I have never been part of a community quite as close and uplifting as the one here in I-House. Over the past few months my every need has been taken care of through God working amongst this fellowship of people from every corner of the globe. Even though my sojourn here has been so short, I feel like I was welcomed into a big family.

I have learned so much from these people and grown in so many ways. Every shared meal, shared difficulties; every conversation or time of laughter, the prayers we exchanged… all of it has been so meaningful to me. I never imagined I would feel this way at the end of my time here. I have been blessed to know some of the brightest, most beautiful and encouraging people I have ever met. I have been so welcomed here at Handong, even though I am an awkward, kind of inept blonde girl who just showed up for one semester.

The end of the semester party filled me with thanksgiving. I am so glad I got to know these people, even though saying goodbye will be so hard. It is all worth it.

After we got back to campus I finished up the evening with even more fun picture taking and conversation. Then I stayed up until three a.m. with some of my very dear girl friends watching a move and then talking into the late night hours.




It was a perfect evening for me. I just hope that the encouragement I felt from that night will help me to endure the hardships of finals! Prayers would be appreciated as I face this difficult upcoming week. Especially pray for my trip home and the rough adjustment I will have once there.

And to all my Handong friends, both international and Korean, I love you guys! Thank you for making this the best semester I’ve yet to experience. You guys are the best.


Thanks for reading! There is still more to come, so check back later if you feel so inclined. Thanks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment