Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Blessed

As many of you may know I recently celebrated my very first birthday away from home. My birthday is not terribly important to me when I am home, but this time I was worried that being gone would make it a very lonely day. It was also a milestone birthday; I left my teenage years behind once and for all. It was kind of a funny feeling—to know that there was now a difference in my life but not feeling it. I'm the just the same old awkward kid trying to stumble my way through life. Only, as I am discovering more and more, the grace of our Creator makes up a lot for my clumsiness.

By that grace, I was allowed to have a really wonderful first birthday abroad. So many people showed so much kindness to me. The people here really are incredible! My friends here even conspired to give me a lovely little surprise birthday party, cake and all. That was a first. Also, one thing I really liked was getting to share my birthday with two other friends, so it was a birthday trio.

Although I did miss my family, I felt like I was part of a family here as well. In the end it was a very good birthday, and a good reminder of how blessed I am with the people I know. So grateful for the grace of God which allows these blessings to illuminate my life!


As a note, the Koreans count age differently. When you are born they say you are already one year old. So technically, by Korean reckoning, I am actually twenty-one. Aha! I get to celebrate my twenty-first birthday twice.

Okay, so hopefully I can write more blog posts soon about actual school and life here at Handong. I will also be writing about another day trip I took to Busan. I promise I am actually working hard at school—which is probably why you never hear about that. Anyway, thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. :D Woohoo! Sengy Chuka Hamnida kkk

    I turned "21" in Korea too! :) You'll be 22 if you're still in Korea by New Years haha.

    P.S. I will actually be in Korea Dec 12th! When do your finals end? I don't know if we'll be able to meet up! But we'll see :) God is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be in Korea?! That's great! Finals end December 20, so meeting up is a possibility if you make it down to Pohang :-D That would be fun!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you had a nice birthday. I find birthdays away from home are a real mixed deal; it's amazing how sweet other people are, but I always miss you guys. Hope your midterms are going well!

    ReplyDelete